The UKs Most Desirable Places To Live
- Categorized in: Market Reports
According to the recent Halifax Quality of Life Survey the district known as Hart in north-east Hampshire is occupying the top spot once again.
It scored highly on a number of measures, including residents' health and well-being, education, employment levels, low crime rates, good weather and good broadband access.
The report, which is the ninth that Halifax has produced, crunches statistics from various sources to come up with an overall measure quality of life. Its sources include the Office for National Statistics, figures from various government departments and information from the Met Office.
Some key findings were as follows:
- The district of Hart, Hampshire, scored highly on health, earnings, education, employment and crime.
- Britain's South East dominated the list, while only one area in the North made it into the annual top 50.
- The Orkney Islands were number 47, while Yorkshire's Hambleton scraped in at number 50.
- Just two London boroughs, and none in Wales, Northern Ireland and the South-West made it into this year's list.
Situated in the north-east corner of Hampshire, the tranquil district of Hart has been crowned as the place with the best quality of life in the UK for the fourth year in a row.
Elmbridge in Surrey and Winchester, also in Hampshire, came second and third on the annual 'top 50' list which was once again dominated by areas in the South-East of England.
Just over 50% of all the best places to live in the UK are located in the South-East of England and 62% are in London and the Home Counties.
Scotland got a look in at number 47 with the Orkney Islands, while Hambleton in Yorkshire was the only place in Northern England on the list, scraping in at number 50.
Two London boroughs made the top 50. They were Kensington and Chelsea, placed at number 34, and Bromley at 37. Richmond-upon-Thames, officially part of Surrey came 15th, with residents able to enjoy scenic towpath walks along the Thames and nearby attractions such as the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew.
South Gloucestershire was named as the South West's most desirable region and was ranked at 60th overall.
The sunniest place in the UK is the Isle of Wight, where residents enjoy an average of 36.9 hours sunshine a week.
The official TOP 50 AREAS with the best quality of life in the UK are:
1. Hart, Hampshire, South East
2. Elmbridge, South East
3. Winchester, Hampshire South East
4. Rutland, East Midlands
5. Chiltern, South East
6. Uttlesford, East of England
7. South Northamptonshire, East Midlands
8. Rushcliffe, East Midlands
9. Wokingham, South East
10. Waverley, South East
11. Warwick, Warwickshire
12. St Albans, East of England
13. South Cambridgeshire, East of England
14. Sevenoaks, Kent, South East
15. Richmond upon Thames, South East
16. Bracknell Forest, South East
17. Mid Sussex, South East
18. Huntingdonshire, East of England
19. Mole Valley, South East
20. Surrey Heath, South East
21. South Oxfordshire, South East
22. Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire
23. Guildford, Surrey South East
24. Babergh, East of England
25. Chelmsford, East of England
26. Windsor and Maidenhead, South East
27. Reigate and Banstead, West Sussex, South East
28. East Hertfordshire, East of England
29. Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire South East
30. West Oxfordshire, South East
31. Tunbridge Wells, Kent, South East
32. North Hertfordshire, East of England
33. South Kesteven, East Midlands
34. Kensington and Chelsea, London
35. Rugby, West Midlands
36. Woking, South East
37. Bromley, London
38. Ashford, Kent, South East
39. East Cambridgeshire, East of England
40. North Kesteven, East Midlands
41. Aylesbury Vale, South East
42. Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, South East
43. Wealden, South East
44. Maidstone, Kent, South East
45. Mid Suffolk, East of England
46. Wycombe, South East
47. Orkney Islands, Scotland
48. Epsom and Ewell, Surrey South East
49. Central Bedfordshire, East of England
50. Hambleton, Yorkshire and The Humber
If you are looking to purchase a new property in the coming months and need help in searching, finding and negotiating the right price for your new home please contact Nigel Sellers on +44 (0) 1962 793100 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.